View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 06:50 AM

Thank you shawbagga. Let me see if I can get Prox.

Yes, have heard about the shock mount and yes some guys said it's normal.

However, there's an update:

I disassembled everything and inspected the bushings as well as the bearings and all looked good. The single bushing of the linkage arm (we call it "bone") showed a bit of use but it only was visible. I could not feel anything with my finger nail nor could I measure a difference using a micrometer caliper.

I admit I didn't inspect the upper shock mount. However, the lower shock mount looked like new and I even turned a piece of aluminum in the lathe to see if the hole is oval, but it was in perfect condition. Needless to say that I was puzzled. A mate said the bolt that goes through the bushing of the linkage arm has a lot of free play in the bushing. Told him that this plays no role once the bolt is tightened the washers press against the bushing and its hold firmly in place. But he insisted that this might play a role. Just for testing he prepaired a bolt that fit snugly through the bushing. I was laughing but well...

I am not laughing now as once the bolt was installed the play was totally gone. Don't tell me that isn't possible. Because I do know that it is not possible. I can reproduce that a hundred times. I use the thinner bolt and there is 5mm play, then use the thicker one and it's gone. I see it but I know it cannot be.

Today a mate said it might be that the OEM bolts thread is too short and even when tightened the nut does not apply full pressure to the bushing. I admit, that this is the only thing I could imagine...

But the next few weeks I don't have time to check...