Thread: Sciatica
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 09:04 AM

I could see mine on a simple XRay, in the form of a fine gray line. This is cartilage like tissue between the sacrum sections that never turned to bone after birth. Its less than half the width of the sacrum and only in one section. I'm told its common, 25% of us have this without problems. Its actually a very minor form of Spina Bifida. The problem is that it can be moved or flexed in relation to the pelvis when highly stressed in certain dimmensions, and this puts pressure on nerves. I'm hoping that I just got unlucky and a series of events the week prior to a rough race added up to my problem. I normally ride very rough terrain and never had a problem. I see the chiro once a month now, and he checks/adjusts my pelvis alignment. Its retaining position better every visit. I have full strength with no symptoms and I've been riding and skiing since without issues but not as long or as rough as usual. We'll see what happens at Sandy Lane Enduro in March, with all the whoops, root balls and braking bumps.