View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 01:31 PM

Default Front Axle Installation Process

I am blatently plagerizing a post by the once again wise Jakobi... his comments from a prior post are below:

The real way is to make sure the forks are aligned and don't bind when compressed.

We'll use the view from standing infront of the bike looking back towards it. The brake is on the RHS, the axel inserts on the left. Follow these steps

1. Insert axel from LHS.
2. RHS axel bolt tightened to spec.
3. If axel spins before spec, which it probably will, tighten LHS pinch bolts, and tighten axel to spec.
4. Tighten RHS pinch bolts
Note: RHS is mounted firmly between spacers and axel block. It should be all tucked in nicely.
5. Ensure LHS pinch bolts are loosened, and that the axel block can float on the axel. (you may need to open up the axel block a little).
6. Let the LHS fork leg align itself to its natural position on the axel.
-Can bounce the suspension
-Can spin the wheel and pull the brakes
-Can physically move the axel block by hand
7. Tighten the LHS pinch bolts.
8. Check all bolts are at spec and that forks aren't binding.
9. Ride on!

I am following this process and have a question on #2. When tightening the axle nut, as the expected result the axle becoming flush with outer edje of the fork bottom? See attached picture. When I reach torque the axle is not pulled through flush, and I assume this is as intended as all the slack has been taken out on the LHS.

New pinch bolts on order... plan to see blue smoke yet today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1995.jpg (106.2 KB, 45 views)