View Single Post
Old 08-23-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post
Send me a private message with your email address, and I will email you a pdf file of a workshop manual that will work with your bike. (It is a 2005/6 workshop manual; the first year that GasGas published one.)

The stock jetting was "motocross style" jetting, which promoted midrange to high rpm running, but didn't promote an engine idling or a smooth transition from low rpm to midrange.
For your bike, with it's Air Striker 1 carburetor (which required richer jetting than the AS 2 carb that came on later models), I would suggest a 42 pilot jet and a 178 main jet, coupled with a jet needle which has a better transition from low end rpms to the midrange rpms. The only jet needle from the GasGas factory that I could make work to my satisfaction was the N1EG. The N1EG is very hard to find, so most owners have moved to either a Yamaha 250 or a Suzuki 250 OEM jet needle listed as "optional" on the various parts breakdown listings. I have used a NEDJ, and lots of owners used a NECW. The various optional jet needles will allow the owner to customize their bike's power delivery as it transitions from low end to mid-range; a critical point in the bike's power delivery if you are doing enduro or trail riding in very tight or very rugged terrain.

If I can assist you in any other quests with the bike, let me know.

Good Riding to You!
Jim Cook
Thanks, I'll PM you my address.

To get it running reasonably well we started with a 35 pilot and worked up to up 55. Didn't have anything bigger in the box of spares that came with the bike but oddly it still felt like going upwards was still going in the right direction. The revs aren't dropping very quickly and they don't remaining very constant. It's very boggy pulling away until what i presume is the main jet taking over and then it's WAHEY! The main was already a 178 so I didn't touch it.

The needle that was in it was an N1EF and nothing wanted to work with that. There was another 3 needles in the box but non were marked. Measured them and they were all the same size. Tried one and whatever size it is (it's thicker than the N1EF) it did improve things.