View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 07:27 AM

Bike year & model = 2014 EC300R E-start

Carb: 38mm PWK ASII carb and reed block spacer

Engine: Modified head running 1.2mm squish, 1 x .3mm base gasket. CR unknown but higher then stock.

Temperature (degC) = 10 - 18 degC,

70% humidity

Elevation (feet) = 1100f, or 350m.

Main jet = 172

Pilot jet = 42

Leak jet = 85

Needle & notch = NEDW #2

Air screw setting = 1.5 turns out

Throttle valve/slide = 7 non-notched

Results:

Has awesome torquey power, can lug around a gear high without a problem. It's rich off the bottom and this cause a very low idle/stalling down hills along with a super annoying burble at anything below 1/8 throttle. As soon as the needle was on the taper the jetting was spot on. Super responsive and crisp with that super smooth power delivery the Suzuki needles are known for.

I was slightly concerned that by lowering the jug (went from stock .5mm base basket to .3mm) I'd lose some top end. If I did I can't tell. If anything the mid range and top end is better and stronger then ever. The bottom is also very strong, just blubbery at the moment.

Interesting is that I didn't change a single thing for this new head, the jetting is identical to what I used on the previous ride with stock head and stock port timing. On that ride which was similar temps/elevation/humidity the bottom end was close to perfect and the mid and top were spot on too. Now whilst the mid and top are still spot on (and possibly stronger) the bottom is a blubbery mess. Could this be due to the modified head burning the fuel more efficiently so it now needs less in there? Dunno next ride I'll play with the air screw and maybe even drop the pilot size down one to see.

Fuel economy was ok - 7.7l used for 74k's = just over 10l / 100ks. Pre modified head with this jetting I was getting 8l/100ks.

Edit: Swapped the NEDW#2 for NECJ#3, left the pilot and main jet the same. AS is right on 1.5 where it seems to have the best off idle response. 1.75 turns is a nicer idle and not quite as blubbery but cracking the throttle from idle results in a lean hesitation and the idle hangs for a slight amount of time just before settling again. Again once on the needle taper and main jet fuelling felt perfect. Below 1/4 though and its still a blubbering mess, its better then it was with the W dia but still needs leaning off a tad. I'll try an NEDJ#2 to see if things improve but the rich burble seems to be present all the way from 0 to just before 1/4 throttle so I doubt a half clip leaner will do too much.

Fuel use = 4.7l for 45ks = 10l / 100ks.

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC

Last edited by n_green; 06-22-2014 at 05:22 AM.