View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
I only feel like that in the summer months. The heat has always kicked my butt and I had the smart idea to move to the desert when I was 27, lol. Now at 51, the heat takes even more of a toll on my energy. The winter time I'm good to go all day with my kick only bikes but I'm still going to add e-start to both.

I love riding my older bikes. Makes the guys that drop $10k plus on a new one reevaluate their skills after getting passed by an older guy on my ancient "trail" bike KDX or even my now 10 years old Gasser.

Eh, dirt bikes are never a good financial decision but who cares? If you enjoy it, why not? You only live once!

I have a Lectron on my '11 EC250R. Honestly, it behaves just like any other carb when it comes to starting cold, hot, or flooded IME. It is pretty nice that once adjusted you don't really need to mess with it for elevation/temp changes. Just be aware that it does lose some of the snap (throttle response) that a normal PWK carb has. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or go back to a PWK air striker carb. We'll see, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
@Blitz11
Oh I totally get it, and my comment was not directed towards you. I?m right there with ya, at 55 I just recently realized that #1 I?m at the point where I longer want to lift my bike onto a crate stand. Yes I?m going to purchase a foot lever type stand. #2 I?ve been thinking of lowering my suspension, rode a lowered demo KTM @ Flat River Enduro 6 or so years ago and really liked the way it cornered. #3 probably should have never rode and E-start bike (Gas Gas, Husaberg, KTM) cause that sure would be nice also (my right hip is hurting from riding Thursday as I type this).
I was just trying to give another outlook on keeping an older bike.
I completely rebuilt the brakes last summer, and plan to rebuild the wheels this winter. My Son has put a bunch of money into his 02? 250 with rebuilt motor, springs and suspension revolve, mousse inserts, tires, 05? plastic, seat cover, graphics, Clarke tank, bars, bark busters, newer style headlight, f. Fender, fork guards. He was talking of a new bike last fall and I said I want your 02?, he said Oh no I?ll never sell that bike.
Ok, so If you dont go out and bike a $10k bike, how much is the older bike worth to you, to put $ into and where is the cut off line? You can get a good 1-2 year old used bike for $8-7k, then of course spend a little more putting stuff on that you would want, or you can throw some money into the older bike. But how much? Where is that point where if you are putting money into an older bike, could you have just used that $, sell the older bike, and get that newer bike? The money your son put into his 02, could have been used to get a newer bike. Or is it that, when we get or find something we like or own for a while, we get attached to it and just want to hang on. Or is it we want to put money into it to keep it somewhat fresh and annoy the guys with the newer bikes that paid $10k, knowing that we might be close to that sum of money with all the work and updates on our older bike?

By the way, how much did your son spend on all those parts for the 02?