View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 10:38 AM

First thing I do is plug the vent with a short M6 bolt/washer with loctite. I've heard all the arguments for and against, but mud filled ignitions on other bikes with vents is enough to convince me.

Remove the cover, clean and lap it flat as described. You know its flat when the entire sealing surface is cut with the sand paper. I use #240 on a glass plate. Clean when done.

Remove the old gasket, pop the plug and wire grommet out of the case, and clean everything up. Get TWO new gaskets. Bond them together with a thin coating of RTV sealant. Apply sealant to the plug and grommet grooves, and to the case side of the gasket pair. Seat the grommet, plug, and gasket pair to the case, wipe off excess silicone. Apply a thin coat of grease to the ignition cover sealing surface, and bolt up SNUG, not tight, with antiseize on the bolt threads.

Now, with the flat cover surface and added compliance of two gaskets, sealing should be close to perfect. The grease allows you to remove and replace the cover many times without gasket damage, and the RTV holds everything to the case, so its quick and easy. Remove and inspect the ignition after every wet ride/wash, you may still see some moisture from condensation, but nothing significant. Allow to air dry and replace the cover with a fresh coat of grease. Doing this I never have a problem, and my ignition components look like new with no corrosion.