View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default 1st ride 2008 ec300

Just picked up a 2008 ec300 off a forum member. Low hour bike tweaked with LTR tuned suspension and RB head and carb mods. This is my first Gas Gas.

I am 39 years old. Got my first mototbike when I was eight. Don't get out as much as I want due to work and family so I am not nearly as "bike fit" as I once was. I certaintly am more conservative that I once was as well. I also ride a 2007 Husaberg Fe550e.

Where: Vancouver Island "Burnt Bridge" area. Really ugly day weatherwise. Tons of rain. Cleared up somewhat. It was good in the trees. Typical west coast: steep, skinny, rutty, slippery, rocky, rooted trails. Great area, has something for everyone.

First impression:
The bike is wild. Very good low end. Killer midrange. Short and compact package. Notice the weight difference quite a bit (approx 20lbs lighter than the berg). Easy to hold on to and not let fall over because of it being shorter and lighter. Handles extremely well. Terrific suspension! Smoky on startup but cleaned up considerably when warm. Starts easy - one kick. Totally different riding style. Promotes standing. Sitting down provokes wheelies!! Must have a shorter wheelbase than the berg. Hand grips under the seat are pretty useless, only can get three fingers in. Notice the vibration in the footpegs when doing road work. The throw in the gear shift seems a bit long. Several times I missed the rear brake/shifter as boot hit skid plate. Hit a tree. Now have a busted rad shroud...

I feel faster on the berg. Much faster on the road sections. The 300 is alot of engine. A 250 may be a better choice around here. I really liked the way it felt light and I did not feel the need to summon super human effort in order to save it from falling over. Brakes are decent. Can't say enough about the suspension. I like the simplicity of two strokes. I like the smell of premix but it can get a bit much at times. I know there will be times I will miss the e-start but I really didn't mind the kickstart - it brought me back to my roots.

I had a real fun day and the bike is a blast. Can't wait to ride again.