View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 11:38 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
Viton are a little more suited, but I have used generic seals with no issues in the past. Bearing shops are usually much cheaper than standard. Just need to make sure you get the right specification regarding the bearings.
My new bearings are NTN brand, same spec (C3 and C4) as OEM.
I will use the "standard industrial grade" seals. I did also discuss it with the professional mechanic who is doing my crank. His comment was: "If that had been a problem, I would have received a lot of claims. I'm using those all the time".
He also offered a bit of advice: To replace the seal behind the flywheel every second time I replace the piston. In his experience, that seal is usually the the first to start leaking after a few years.

The rebuild got a little delayed, as I fell ill during Christmas.
However, I did deliver the crank on Tuesday and expect it back early next week.
I have everything I need in stock (apart from one gasket) so I hope to have the engine back together in one piece within a week or two.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc