View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 04:36 AM

Thanks to some advice from F5 in this thread, I think I have a path ahead with my bearings and spacers:

what forks to use

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t

At this point I don't have the forks in my bike, so I fitted the triple clamps and securely hung the whole assembly vertically so that I could freely fit my wheel in this setup using the YZ 20mm axle, the GG wheel and the existing GG spacers (from the 25mm axle).

After a lot of stuffing around I got the wheel pretty centred (within 1mm I think), and then delved into my box of washers and found out that 1.5mm thick washers were a nice fit in the gap left between the GG spacer and the fork lug

As this gap was exactly the same on each side, I'm assuming that the GG wheel runs the same hub offset as the YZ. This desk gives me some confidence that my centring was accurate

So, the total spacer length required is 25mm (existing spacer) + 1.5mm gap = 26.5mm

As I'm swapping out the existing OEM bearings for a set from a 99-03 Gas Gas (42mm OD and 20mm ID), I'm expecting the spacer length to be 3mm shorter as these bearings are thicker, bringing it to 23.5

This is a few mm longer than the 22mm suggested by F5, but our setups may be slightly different and there are a lot of variables

I have enough info now to go ahead and order the older bearings and see if my local GG supplier can source a 20mm inner spacer

The plan is to fit the new bearings and then use the YZ spacers (20mm long) and I'll get myself a handful of 0.5, 1 and 1.5mm thick M20 washers and space this up for real before I source a one piece spacer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk