View Single Post
Old 04-15-2017, 06:55 AM

I've finally made some more progress with this.

I now have the following bits and pieces which will allow me to work out my axle spacers:
- the correct oversize disc adapter (Braking POW13)
- AllBalls wheel bearings from 99-03 Gas Gas ec300
- also Allballs Head stem bearings for YZF triples(top bearing Part Number 99-3513-5 . bottom bearing Part Number 99-3521-5)

Removed the original caliper hanger from the GG caliper and replaced it with the Braking one, and bolted it up to the SSS's. I've also completely removed the cable for the trailtech, and I'll work out if I tap a hole for that in the new caliper later on... bigger fish to fry right now.

Removed the old wheel bearing on the brake disc side of the front wheel, removed the inner spacer (I'll put it back in later on when I remove the old bearing from the other side), and inserted the "new" (wider) 99-03 bearing which has the correct ID for the YZF axle.

So now I have a GG front wheel with no inner spacer, original bearings in the RHS and 99-03 bearings on the LHS.What I need now is to work out the lengths of the LHS, RHS and middle spacers to fit the 99-03 bearings, and correct alignment between brake disc and caliper.

My original calculations were that 23.5mm spacers would work on each side to center the wheel, but that was without testing the brake caliper/disc alignment

The new inner spacer is easy as its the same length as the original one (66mm), but 20mm ID for the Yamaha axle

As I'm still waiting for a fresh inner spacer, I've just inserted the 99-03 bearing on the brake side, and will use the old bearings on the RHS + 3mm of washers to mimic the 99-03 bearing on that side.

I've reassembled this arrangement with the original YZF spacers on the RHS (24mm long) + 3.0mm of washers (to mimic the wider bearings - as above) , and the original YZF spacers on the LHS (20mm long) + 3.5mm of washers

Thankfully this looks to be trueing up nicely with the brake caliper, but I'm only getting a few threads on the axle nut, so I'm settling on the following:

- 23.5mm spacer on LHS (disc)
- 23.5mm spacer on RHS but I've also got the stock 20.0mm spacer that I'll try once I have all final bearings and spacers in as it should give me access to more axle thread.

I haven't checked if the wheel is exactly centered again yet with this setup but it "looks" OK

So while I'm waiting for a helpful mate from another forum to make me up some spacers, I'll fit the yamaha triples and fresh headstem bearings and work out what I do with the trailtech mount on the triples

Also procrastinating on whether I ride test these forks first, or while I'm waiting for the spacers I just send them off for a service, springs for my weight (if needed) and whatever "offroad" valving spec my tuner suggests...