View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
The older XCs ('99 - '02)were strong runners, with high comp MC heads and more aggressive CDIs.
IMO, '03 and '04 were the softest, full euro spec bikes. After that it got better again. My '07 was easily the strongest running GG I've had or ridden. I knew this from the first spin around the dealers lot when I picked it up, it's just plain fast and still is. The '12 is fast too just took more time to get there. I can't say if and what any porting changes were, but there is enough slop in the sand cast cases to allow plenty of variability. My '00 XC had some evidence of casting cleanup with a porting tool from the factory.

Noah,

Your bike should be a strong running 250 if it started life as an '00 XC. If you have the 2k-2 ignition you most certainly have the hotter MC CDI, or CDI from a 200 that uses a more aggressive curve. Thats the way Don Knight had them set up. If it has the 2k-3 then maybe it started life as an EC spec bike. Back in '00 there were some ECs as well, as XCs. If you want a little more, there are ways without going crazy. Have the head modded to correct the squish and maximize compression. Replace the RAD valve with a VForce, this was a biggie on my '03. You have to smooth the cases in the reed block area for this. They also benefit from a slight timing advance if running the EC CDI. The JD Blue needle rips in the old carbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I'm very happy with how my bike runs, not saying I won't do the head at some point. Mine is the EC with the 2k-3 ignition. I had a chance to ride a bone stock 04' EC250 and the 04' does feel light on power in comparison. I was just curious as to how the engine has evolved over the years. BTW I wasn't overly impressed with the power of my buddy's new 300 orange bike

Is it better to modify the MC than the EC head? or will they both end up with the same specs after the RB mod?
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200