View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
Is "blows through the stroke" the latest catch phrase in bikes. What does it mean? That your fork is compressing on hits?? That is what it should do. Valving is speed sensitive and springs hold the bike up.

It seems strange that the bike is harsh on the small stuff but compresses well (blows through the stroke). What is your weight and your sporing rates. I would guess your springs are too light.
Les did the last set with .44 springs which would have been right when I told him 195#. I'm down to 180 now. Here's the issue. Running down rocky trails they are extremely harsh and tend to bounce around quite a bit. When you launch off a 3 or 4 foot ledge going down hill the forks almost immediately bottom, disconcerting to say the least. I ride right off the rear fender on downhills due to this.

Les did a nice job making them work much better than stock but these forks are just flat out uncomfortable to ride. I raised the oil level to 120 which helped slightly but these forks feel like a 2x4 as far as harshness goes. When two different tuners set them up, both of which made them work much better than stock, and they still feel very harsh on all the rocks I have to assume part of it is the nature of the forks themselves.

I am by no means an aggressive rider but I do ride very challenging trails. Something just isn't right when the stock WP on an 08 feels much more planted. I've had a couple of people much more experienced than I try adjusting the compression/rebound and sag with both sets of forks and they walk away rather unimpressed.

The Sachs rear I had locally tuned on the other hand I'm quite pleased with.