View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 PM

Default Practice ride

In Gainesville, we have several areas to ride. A few secret areas like rock gardens, remote hidden sand tracks, and a few folks with single track on their property that I have come to know over the years of being here.

There are also pay areas such as Waldo mx, Hard rock mx, and the national forests.

I signed up for FTR this year with the intention on racing the Vet C class and after much headache trying to get my KTM legal with a spark arrestor, header wrap, numbers, etc. and looking at the entry fees, the sponsor (ama, FTR, gate fees, pit fees, registration fees, delays, rain, last minute cancellations), I decided not to enter any races here. Like others have said, too much stress, running around, and what for? I am not traveling the state of Florida in a points quest to prove anything.

I tallied up what entering ONE race here would cost, and it was almost $200....

I mainly ride these "free" areas and pay the entrance fee on "practice days" at the local tracks. Most tracks have three or more riding areas with trails so you are not stuck doing one thing all day. I'm happy practicing, and with the buddies that go with me we "race" there for bragging rights.

Racing at my age around here seems like a big PITA. I've been riding since I was 9, and have never raced!