Thread: clutch squeel
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkyboy View Post
Both the 2-stroke basket and the 4-stroke basket start out the same and it is possible that you got one were the webbbing wasn't machined out for the 2-stroke application as your photo indicates it is the older style.

Both could be in any GasGas bigger than a 125 used other than the "primary ring gear sprocket" itself, which is specific for the 200, the 250/300 and the 4-stroke and is rivited to the basket. Again those are the only differences other than the removal of some of the webbing.

Please note that the 200 clutch basket has a couple more teeth on the larger ring gear itself than the 250 and 300 and will not work properly. Yes the 200 basket will fit in the 250 and 300 but it is a very tight fit and it will eventually take out a bearing as well as produce a bunch of metal filings or both. A dead give away is the "whirring" sound you hear when the motor is running and the clutch is released as the mesh between the two gears is too tight.

Over the last couple of years we have only seen the two style of baskets in 2-stroke 250s and 300s. But to be honest we haven't been paying real close attention to the 200s and 4-stokes because there have not been many sold here in the US.

The part numbers (up until 2010) show that the basic design originated in 2004 for the 250 and 300 and has been unchanged in the 200 since 1999, so we can't even specify which basket we get when we order them from the factory as the numbers used haven't changed. What I mean by this is when we order new clutch baskets we get the one they send us with no designation for the newer style basket or the older one.
Hey Berkyboy,
Got a question for you...If I were to do some type of modification to
the basket or replace it with one from Barnett do you think that would cure the problem.
I guess what I want to know is.... the clutch mods performed on the race bikes, did that solve the squawking problem form them.
Can the squawking be cured?
I'd hate to spend money on a new basket or tons of time modifying the stocker only to find out it's a way deeper issue
TKS