View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 05:52 AM

Default 1st hare scramble

Getting ready for my first hare scramble this weekend! Really excited as i have wanted to do this for a very long time!

The past couple weeks i have been trying to get ready physically and mentally. The race will be 1:45 hrs mostly single track.

To get ready i have done several 3 miles runs, lots of core and leg workouts, hydrating, and riding!

I was a little worried about the length of the race so I went out last night and rode 1:20 hr to see how I would hang in there... I was sore but I think I found a good pace I can maintain safely (goal is only to finish the first one and have fun). Still a little concerned as I don't have any single track in my area to practice on so I am not sure how that will compare physically to the double track i ride (still pretty narly with lots of rocks and roots but wide enough for a four wheeler, also so rather long connecting roads where i was able to rest).

The ride was confidence inspiring and I did great with keeping one finger on the clutch and break with elbows up and legs gripping the bike. I did have a few take away's tho...

1.) keep you head up stupid! easy to just sucked into staring at a large rock or obstacles as you go by.

2.) wet boots/pegs=slippery when tired. noticed myself slipping off the pegs late in the ride.

3.) this is going to be way to much fun !

Heres a link to the race from a couple years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMGp7f6xEDM

I'll post up to this thread again after the race!