Thread: Oil pump??
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TOOL View Post
What it sounds like to me is a serious case of "oops I didn't add enough oil to my dry sump engine" With a dry sump type engine, the oil has a very specific way it needs to be checked... but in short, the engine needs to be run for a couple of minutes to circulate the oil through the engine, then with the engine stopped for a bit, the oil level can be properly checked.
Did you happen to measure how much oil you used to re-fill the bike after you had it apart? I would think that you only got about a quart back in before it overflowed... (not enough...) The oil pump is behind the filter assembly, so chances are that you didn't do anything wrong when you had it apart. But, it does sound like you hurt the engine pretty bad. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Good luck with it!
Ay BIG TOOL, I was just trying to keep the story short, I do know the procedure for checking the oil. I've been checking and changing it for over 3 years. I did start the engine when I got the oil down in the frame after the overflow, it still didn't go down, which is why I thought it was at the right level. I guess if the pump isn't spinning, then the oil in the frame will just stay where it is. I still think I did something wrong when I had it apart.