View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 01:46 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DKevin View Post
I appreciate it. Let me know how that measurement works out... in the mean time, I reached out to Warp9 to see what hubs they use for their GG sumo kit. They said they use a pre-2012 Honda CRF hub on the rear and a KTM up front. I've never seen anywhere on this forum about Honda/GG rear hub crossover compatibility, so now I'm even more confused.

I would just buy the Warp9 kit and call it a day, but I'm dying to run Alpina wheels, which is why I'm looking for a crossover and curious if the 5" will clear with a 160.
I hope I can do the measuremenst over the weekend.

Well, up front you can get away with almost anything. It's just a matter of lining up the disk in the caliper and making some spacers to fit, as long as you find suitable bearings. I (and plenty others) have fitted a GG hub in Yamaha forks, for instance.
Its the rear that represents the problem, as both the chain line and the brakes must fit, while the wheel is still in the centerline of the bike.
People have also used cast street bike wheels from e.g. Aprilia RS125 and I think also Suzuki GS500 if memory serves me right.
I have never built a SM bike, but I did install magnesium PVM Ducati wheels on my Bimota Supermono. Then I had to spend some hours in the lathe and milling machine...
I have never heard of Alpina before, but they look nice.
What part of the world are you in?

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc