View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 07:55 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyArgyle View Post
2011 EC 300. I've had her about 2 years now. Unfortunately, for over a year of that I was fighting through figuring out why she wouldn't run right. Turns out it was the reeds, but I created a few problems for myself in trying to solve that one, and it took a long time to get things straightened out.

BUT, she's ripping once again. I always felt like she was super smoky, and not knowing much about two strokes I wasn't sure if that was just part of the issue or what. I was running a 175 main with a NE3H needle in the third (middle) position, and a 40 pilot. Today (actually yesterday, don't hold it against me), I moved the needle down one notch (leaner). Mid and top felt pretty good, but I could tell idle wasn't great. No matter how I adjusted the air screw and idle, I couldn't bring the idle down. Again, not having too much two stroke experience, I didn't want to do any harm, but I noticed that if I 'half choked' the carb, it idled a little better.

So taking that into consideration, along with the fact that I leaned out the needle, I decided to go up one size on the pilot. I figured that makes sense since its cooler these days anyway.

Let me just say...
Damn.

Its like a whole new bike. Very responsive, wasn't smoking all the time, wasn't constantly loading up. I haven't checked the plug yet, but I suppose that would be a good idea.

Anyways, after a few hours of interspersed tweaking and ripping, it was bath time.

Now that I have that sorted, I think its time to fool with the ignitech cdi and try out some different maps. Anyone have any recommendations or custom maps they want to share?

Well done!!
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/