View Single Post
Old 02-20-2024, 09:59 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Okay, I'll be "that person"...

Personally I want a quiet bike and am looking forward to the time that electric motorcycle ranges will be enough for me to go trail riding here in Colorado/Utah. I doubt that will happen in my lifetime, however.

As for being too quiet for others and wildlife, it's my opinion that will not be a problem. On some very long and steep downhill trails, I kill my motor to save gas and coast down the trail. The tires on the trail, the chain slapping their guides, and the fenders vibrating make plenty of noise. Throw into that the whirring of an electric motor at a higher frequency sound that animals may pick up, it's possible they could be more aware. I've come across most animals here while riding and some go running, and some don't. As for encountering other humans, it's my responsibility for riding in control and looking out for others so my lack of an ICE motor won't change that...Especially for hikers and equestrians. The fact that they may not be doing the same for me is out of my control and, in my experience on crowded trails here, an ICE motor will not make any difference due to the terrain we ride. I am almost always the trail lead here and I encounter oncoming riders EVERY ride and I always see them before I hear them (not too surprising as the loudest exhaust notes are behind the oncoming riders). When I encounter hikers and horses, I come to a complete stop and communicate with them how to proceed. Most say they didn't hear us and are very appreciative of our courtesy.

These are my opinions and I realize everyone has those among other things...I love my 2 strokes and will never get rid of them. But that doesn't mean there won't be room in my garage for an electric motorcycle that can comfortably go a 100 miles if it will ever exist. Oh, and I am not a believer that e-cycles will help with keeping riding open...Mountain bikes are being targeted here in CO as are e-bikes. E-bicycles are already classified like motorcycles in most places in CO and restrictions are growing rapidly.

Good day!
2003 KX/KDX 220 hybrid
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000 Trail Edition
1974-86 Vintage Can Ams, SWMs, Puchs, etc.