View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Angry AMA pushing away from time keeping enduros

The AMA is pushing away from time keeping enduros. It's going to be another GNCC type series.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
To AMA National Enduro Promoters,

I am pleased to announce that the AMA is going to work with the National Enduro Promotions Group (NEPG) to increase the visibility of the series and the number of riders participating in Enduros. Alan Randt is the driving force behind the NEPG and brings a tremendous amount of experience as a successful businessman, promoter and racer to the group. The NEPG will be made up of Enduro riders, clubs and manufacturers to represent all interests and to build the Enduro discipline back to the stature it deserves in American off-road riding.

We value all of our clubs that host Nationals and I hope we can count on you again in 2007 to work with the AMA and the NEPG to evolve the sport of Enduro to the next level to meet our riders’ needs. We are proposing several changes to the Enduro National series to attract the OEM’s support back to the series as well as new riders including the Youth segment. Some of the most fundamental changes will involve using the Start Control format and running the event on a closed course. The “time keeping� aspect intimidates many new riders and the cost of a computer can be one more reason to choose another sport besides Enduro. The fact that motorcycles are being illegally modified to be street legal has kept the OEM’s away; the closed course will eliminate the need for lights and registration not to mention allowing the Youth segment to ride the course.

The NEPG will also be providing a series referee to begin creating the consistency from event to event that is needed to elevate the series to true National status. As we secure more sponsor’s the NEPG will be promoting the series to the fans and racers through print media. This is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of opportunities for us to save and build our sport.

I know that no one likes change, but I am asking that you keep an open mind for 2007 and support this effort and help to build the sport. Enduro rider participation has been steadily dropping while other off-road disciplines are increasing. We need to meet our customers’ needs just like any business of face the prospect of dwindling participation.

Feel free to contact myself at (614) 856-1900 x1245 or Alan at (517) 393-2421with any questions you may have. Please remember to get your 2007 Sanctions in by August 4.

Thank you!

Chuck Weir
Off-Road Racing Manager
American Motorcyclist Association