View Single Post
Old 08-23-2022, 08:51 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes748 View Post
Good morning folks,

My apologies for my first post being of the begging variety but I'm looking for a suitable workshop manual for a 2001 EC300 and non of the old links on the forum seem to be active any more.

But seeing as I'm here now, I should probably introduce myself. The name's Steven, I'm 53 years young and was born and still living in Scotland.

Bike-wise I've currently only got two. A 1997 Ducati 748SP which I've owned since 2000 and this 2001 EC300. Historically, they've virtually all been Italian makes (dunno why - just happened) other than a CB500 and an RMZ250.

I picked up this rebuilt (but poorly running) GasGas last year but I've only just got round to dealing with it in earnest. It came with some bizarre jetting which I returned to stock (still ran rubbish) and then moved up and down the range of jets, but nothing cured it.

Think it may well be an air leak so got a test kit on its way. We'll see what results we get and take it from there.

Thank you in advance.
Send me a private message with your email address, and I will email you a pdf file of a workshop manual that will work with your bike. (It is a 2005/6 workshop manual; the first year that GasGas published one.)

The stock jetting was "motocross style" jetting, which promoted midrange to high rpm running, but didn't promote an engine idling or a smooth transition from low rpm to midrange.
For your bike, with it's Air Striker 1 carburetor (which required richer jetting than the AS 2 carb that came on later models), I would suggest a 42 pilot jet and a 178 main jet, coupled with a jet needle which has a better transition from low end rpms to the midrange rpms. The only jet needle from the GasGas factory that I could make work to my satisfaction was the N1EG. The N1EG is very hard to find, so most owners have moved to either a Yamaha 250 or a Suzuki 250 OEM jet needle listed as "optional" on the various parts breakdown listings. I have used a NEDJ, and lots of owners used a NECW. The various optional jet needles will allow the owner to customize their bike's power delivery as it transitions from low end to mid-range; a critical point in the bike's power delivery if you are doing enduro or trail riding in very tight or very rugged terrain.

If I can assist you in any other quests with the bike, let me know.

Good Riding to You!
Jim Cook
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/