View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 02:33 PM

Can't resist putting in my two cents on this one.
I've been riding KTM 250 2-strokes since the mid-'80's and bought my first 4t, an '06 400 EXC, about a year ago and it is without question the best turning, most nimble KTM I've ever owned. I've also spent some time on a buddy's '07 300 XC-W (imagine a playful 400 minus about 30 lbs.).
Several months ago, my son got an '05 GG EC 200 (our first Gas Gas).
We ride mostly tight single track.
A couple of things I've noticed about the Gas Gas (we swap bikes occasionally -
mostly 'cause I like to try his from time to time). First, the Gas Gas is light and flickable like the '07 KTM 2t, but it will turn circles around the orange bikes.
With the KTM, I choose my line through a corner and stay with it. If I have to change lines mid-corner, it can be thrilling. The Gas Gas by comparison, is happy to change lines any time, any place, regardless of the terrain. Also, the
GG feels more planted everywhere than my 400 (and the 400 feels more planted than my previous bikes). The Gas Gas brakes are about equal to the KTM's. The clutch pull on the GG is one finger, period. Also, the Gearbox on the Gas Gas is very smooth and doesn't give the rider the noticeable "click" from gear to gear that the KTM tranny does(so smooth I sometimes am not sure I've made the upshift until I release the clutch).

I can't speak to the suspension issues, because I'm about 190 lbs (no gear) and my son is about 145, so his bike rides low in the stroke with me on it. However, it tracks and follows the terrain just fine, even set-up for a rider almost 50 lbs. lighter than me.

You didn't mention how tall you are. As you know the KTM is very roomy and comfortable for tall riders, the GG is definitely a little more cramped for me (6'2"), although with the bar mounts moved all the way forward, a taller seat,
and a little trick to lower the footpegs 15mm (something about reversing the pins or springs) that I saw on this site, the Gas Gas would certainly be roomier.

As far as quality of components, both bikes are pretty equal.
As far as ease of maintenance, there are some things I prefer about the KTM and some I like better about the Gas Gas.

if you can, you should definitely try and ride a Gas Gas, back to back with your KTM, if possible.

In summary, even though I love my orange 400 and expect to keep it, the next
woods bike I buy will almost certainly be a Gas Gas 2-stroke.