View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 03:34 AM

2007 EC250 with just basic lights - (low beam headlight, tail and stop light only)

Ok, after much study and reading I have come to the conclusion that my brain is not wired up to understand electrickery!

The sticky post above (AC to DC) refers to the main earth, I have 3 in the same location by the ac regulator and it seems that all of the lighting earths need to be removed ...etc... I am confused...

So, I have two wires (one yellow and one white) which appear to come from the stator. The white wire goes nowhere (not connected to anything) and is just taped to the frame at the left side of the tank. The yellow wire has a spade connector and that appears to go to the ac regulator near the coil. Both these wires are live when the engine is running.

Is the following sensible /possible?

Leave the existing system exactly how it is but disconnect all the lights (and brake switch) from any earths to the frame.

Use the redundant white wire from the stator to power a new reg /rec earthed to the frame with the correct wire. I assume the reg rec needs to be earthed to the frame with its wire NOT bolted to the frame)

Will I now have a new source of 12 V DC from the reg rec which I can use for lights and other accessories? I appreciate that everything utilising this new 12V DC will need to be isolated from the frame. (I hope the brake switch will not cause an issue?)

Essentially I will have added a new 12V DC system which is isolated from the existing circuits and with its own earth/neg to a battery - all sourced from the white wire under the tank.

Is it vital to also have a battery on this new 12V DC system or will it work without?

Just smiling, as I suspect this will be jibberish to those electrical wizards out there... apologies!

Retired
EC 250 (2007)
UK