View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith View Post
I purchased a 2010 EC 300 with about 4 hrs on it. I dont think it even had a full tank of gas ran through it. Im planning on taking it out on the first real ride this coming weekend so I thought I would put fresh oil in it.
When I drained the oil I noticed it was red similar to transmission fluid. Has anyone heard of this? What could it be? I dont think the original owner mistakenly put tranny fluid in it. He had several street bikes and dual sports. But it sure makes me wonder what it could have been. I never had any problems or noticed anything funny when I had it out for a short ride right after I bought it.
I replaced it with 10W30 Lucas motorcycle racing oil. So, I should be good now.
Its a 2T so the oil is only for the transmission Not uncommon for some people to run ATF so thats probably what it was. 4T engine oil works too (as its designed to work with wet clutches). Avoid anything with friction modifiers that may cause the clutch plates to slip. A thinner oil generally creates less drag and in particular with these bikes, less squawk/squeal when working the clutch hard.