View Single Post
Old 11-28-2023, 03:47 PM

Aside from your method of installation, I would consider the spacer to be suspect. The ends maybe not be square to the bore or the OD may not be true.

The left side crank seal can be replaced without splitting the cases, so your method for the right hand side should be possible. Install the seal into the case (cold), then install the spacer with oring. I'm not directly familiar with the assembly so this could be bad advice. The spacer may have to be in place first.

One thing to keep in mind is that the spring inside the seal (that tensions the seal) can be dislodged easily during installation. Any edge that the seal goes over needs a significant taper to ensure the seal goes in perfectly straight. Any canting will let the inner spring pop away from it's seat.

So maybe the spacer should be in place first with a guide device at the end to let the seal slide over smoothly. An example is the waterpump seal on a KTM RFS engine. A guide is needed to cover the clip groove. I tried it once using a piece of heat shrink tubing, but the inner spring would come out going over the end of the shaft. With a machined guide having a long taper, the seal went in perfectly.

EDIT to add: I always coat the ID of the seal lips with grease before installation.