View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 AM

Tried the red needle today. Feels a lot 'crisper' then the blue needle.

Literally swapped needles, so went from 38p AS1.5to, JD Blue #3, 168 main to a JD Red #3 same jets. Bike idled HIGH. I wound the air screw in to .5 and then had to back the idle screw out 1.5 turns as well With this setting the off idle response was good with no hanging or running on. Obviously I should have gone to a 40 pilot but was out on the trails without any jets so pushed on.

There is a lean spot about 1/2 throttle. It's only there briefly, but the bike becomes obviously noisier and without making power at this throttle position if rolling through the rev range slowly. This lean spot was only present here and no where else in the rev range, should have raised the needle to clip #4 but again was on a ride and couldn't be assed.

The bike had also lost a lot of the torque it usually has right off idle and was more prone to stalling. A larger pilot probably would have overcome this.

The top end felt good, was definately leaner then it was with the blue needle, but I wouldn't call it lean. Crisp is probably a good description
Seat of the pants and from idle in 3rd gear drag races with my mate on his Pumpkin 300 (which has always pulled at least 3 bike lengths on me once it hits its top end) proved this. He was lucky to be 1 bike length in front of me.

Fuel economy improved as well, not a huge difference, used 8.6l for 90k's of riding, mostly single/twin trail with about 10k's of fire trail transport at the end of the ride.

Not sure if I like this needle. To evaluate it properly I'd have to drop in a 40 pilot and raise the needle one clip. I may do this before I make up my mind about it but as is it feels to lean in the middle for my liking.