Thread: 36mm carb swap
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke View Post
I have a 2006 Gasgas EC 300 and currently 38mm carb. My jetting is 40 pilot, DDK needle 2nd from top, and 180 main. 180 is a little lean for the 35 degrees it was today, but I'm thinking it will be about right when it warms up a bit. It runs very nice bottom to top, however I wonder if a 36mm carb will give me a little more punch down low. I had 150 psi compression cold (seems low to me, but read here it is normal for Gasgas), and currently a fatty pipe, but want to go to a gnarly pipe. I like to ride lower in the RPM's, and while it's currently smooth and linear through the power, I could stand to loose some top end in favor of low rpm grunt. I guess my questions are #1, will the 36mm body produce a noticeable improvement in low rpm's, #2 will I need a new carb boot/reeds to fit the new carb? Also, if there are any running a 36mm carb on an older 300, what do you have for jets and needle?
I think I would try a few other things first before spending the coin on a 36mm. I have a 2006 EC as well. I?ve owned it for 2 years now. It had a DDK in it when I bought it. I was really disappointed in the low end at first. My KDX 220 had way more low end. The first thing I did was set the powervalve spring tension. The powervalve was not closing at small throttle openings. (see the sticky at the top of the 2 stroke engine section ). That was a major improvement. I then went to the Yamaha/KTM N3EG needle with a 42 pilot and a 178 main. After that I sent the head to RB designs which smoothed out the power and definitely improved the mileage. Those three things changed into another bike, I mean like almost too much bottom end. Really nice for big log hopping and steep hills that have no run up.

The DDK seems to be a lean to rich profile. I had better luck with a 42 pilot 2nd clip and 175/172 main. I didn?t spend a lot of time (3 or 4 rides) with the DDK but if anything it felt like it could stand a 45 for a pilot. You are running that Fatty in cooler weather so you may need that 180. I run the stock pipe.