View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 01:20 PM

95% of the riding I do is in the sand. The big saying around here is "when in dout, GAS IT !!" which is particularly good on a Gas gas.

Keep the front end light and stay on the gas as long as possable. As stated above, the sand will provide much of your braking. Momentum will be the key to your sucess. You may notice that the bike will wander left & right when riding is sandy ruts. That wandering feeling is just part of the "feel" (that most riders hate about riding in sand) that just comes with the territory.

I set my rear sag really really low and have the forks riding at maximum height in the triple tree. This will give you stability in the streights, thereby reducing the risk of headshake. When your in the woods, you want the bike to turn on a dime through switchbacks and manuver around small obsticals, while staying planted on the trail. Now you want just the opposite ! Now, for sand, you want more of a "chopper" type set up, so you will not swap ends over those whoops and sandy ruts.

I like to run my front a tad on the stiff side and my rear a little soft. Im still messing with the rebound.