View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 02:11 PM

Default Alternate fix

Like everyone else, I hate the auto retract. The chain link method is simple but the spring tends to crab as the stand pivots.

Stock dimensions of the spring eye to eye: up is 8.750", down is 10.625". The extra yank really contributes to the auto retract.

I wanted the new attachment point ahead of the stand's pivot point. I figured the original spring tab would be in the way so I ground it off the stock bracket.

I made up a piece that is held by the pivot bolt. A grooved button attaches to it, along with a pin on the back that can torque against the stock bracket. The idea is that if the pivot bolt loosens up, the spring can't pull things out of place.

On the first try I used an intermediate link to get a smooth pivot action. Not shown in the photo is the extra holes in the link as I played with different spring tensions.

While the operation was slick, there wasn't enough tension in the up position even with more spring preload. From this I could tell that I needed to move the spring anchor higher.

My next bracket had a top torque tab and a higher anchor point. This would not be as high as the chain link method, but still high enough to gain some extra leverage. The spring goes around the button now.

This worked out great. New dimensions of the installed spring: up is 9.625", down is 9.875". Lots of force in both directions and .750" less stretch on the spring when down. Really smooth operation.