View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 04:18 AM

Leon,

It might not be the main jet that was why I wondered if it would run flat out after a few seconds. With mine it was too rich on the pilot and needle which allowed it to spooge up in the woods. It would then take several seconds of WFO to clear with much coughing & spluttering. The main was fine but the engine wouldn't rev because it was so full of oil and fuel and needed to spit it all out.

I have the 300 and now run it much leaner on the bottom than either the factory or LTR recommend - they are probably scared of causing seizures. There seems to be a big variation in jetting on these bikes - I guess there is a poor manufacturing tolerance somewhere - probably on the ports. The upshot is you have to jet them individually to get it right - if you have a good dealer they can usually advise you pretty close but the fine tuning has to be done yourself.

I doubt the main jet is the principal cause of your problems. Try dropping the needle a notch and maybe lowering the pilot jet size. It doesn't get very cold here but I see no variation in jetting requirement between 30 deg C & 0 deg C. I have found it critical at lower temperatures to keep the engine warm for it to run cleanly. I think they have a cooling system designed to work well in a Southern Spanish summer!

If your bike will not run WFO, when at proper operating temp after several seconds (eg 5 - 10) of full throttle I'd suspect something else. It is entirely possible for example to spooge up in the woods and then not run WFO because your float height is too low. But it normally does feel like someone turned the fuel off in that case.

As for cold carbs a friend of mine uses bubble wrap taped round the carb - I think some of the guys on here who ride regularly below zero have other ways to insulate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon_gasgas

On Saturday afternoon with the same jetting it was +3 about C and after a period of about 15 min with 2nd and 3rd gear tight tree driving I attacked a snow berm and gave full throttle in 2nd from the start of the berm. The bike coughed like crazy. Reduced the throtle and then I was able to accelerate pretty ok through the gears. I think this is a rich situation. Should I try the178 jet? The bike always starts first kick and works great if I keep the throttle at 80ยป90%.

Leon