Thread: Hanging idle?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

There are still 2 filters in the tank which should well and truly take care of any material left over from manufacture. I also like to install a further inline filter between the carb and tank for piece of mind.

If you can confirm good fuel flow from the tank to the carb, then have a look at the carb. Wouldn't really expect blocked jets but anything is possible.

Air leaks can cause similar symptoms leaning everything out too (stator seal, cases, reed block, etc). Again, would not expect to see anything on a fresh engine, but sometimes things happen.

If all that is well, then you could simply be a touch on the lean side. I haven't jetted one of these engines up yet so everything I've previously said about W and J diameters is in relation to the older engines 10-17 models. Changes have been made which can influence things.

The other consideration is the engine. TSP (Australian 2T tuner/performance shop) has noted a large variation in engine tolerances. His words, "got 4 heads in from a dealer from 4 untouched bikes (2 GPs and 2 ECs) and got 4 different squish measurements... 1.3, 1.6, 1.8 and 2.1. Heads of the same part number are measuring up different as well."

If you consider that those heads would all be running very close volumes that gives a wide range of compression ratios, which will definitely impact on how much fuel a bike needs, and how it feels off idle.

The other point to note is that what we are finding nice in Australia is always a bit different in other parts of the world. A cold day for me is 15C and it's almost rare for temps to drop below 10C. My average temps are usually mid to high 20's going up into the 30's in summer; and always with a healthy dose of humidity on top.