View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 09:23 AM

I've run the Michelin and Mitas trials tires and currently run a Dunlop since I got it for $50. Trials tires are pretty much my rear tire of choice for most of the rocky trail conditions in New England. However, in winter, I switch over to Trelleborg friction spikes. There are a few places/conditions where I won't run a rear trials tire simply because, even with 6psi in the tire, I could not get traction in bottomless ruts.

Using a rear trials tire does require some adjustments in riding style. Turning without a berm requires you to square off the corner before getting on the gas. Otherwise laying it over and twisting the throttle results in a low-side. A guy I ride with broke his collarbone because of this. If you rely heavily on the rear brake, you will overshoot turns. I've learned to use a lot more front brake than I used to which is a good thing. Last, but not least, since a trials tire finds traction where a knobby normally spins you need to excercise throttle control. The first few times I rode with a rear trials tire the bike shot out from underneath me when I, accidentally, grabbed a handful of throttle.