View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 02:12 PM

Default New Excel Rims Laced Up

I laced up the front and rear hubs with new Excel rims and Buchanan spokes.I had called the Excel USA tech guys and they were very helpful giving me the correct part numbers. The front rim is Excel ICG408 21 x 1.60 x 36 Hole and the rear rim is Excel FEG410 18 x 2.15 36 hole. These rims bolt right up without any problems BUT the stock spokes will not work and the excel rims require Buchanan or another bigger aftermarket spoke.

Also, the guys at Buchanan really helped a lot. Kenny Buchanan told me in the 1984 production run for Suzuki RMs that the supplier for the Suzuki hubs changed three times so there are three different variations in the spokes for this model RMs. I had to ship my hubs to Buchanan so they could identify which spokes my RM used. (You could just send your old spokes but I had already cut mine with an angle grinder.)

Here is a picture of start of the assembly of the rear wheel. Everything went smooth, no problems at all.

Here is the front.

Both rims finished up.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar