View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Just get back to basics Fred. Sounds like you have some fantastic technology at your disposal there, and good tracks close by to practice and test yourself on too. Regarding your goals, using an average speed vs time is only a good benchmark against itself, for a certain loop on a certain day. If you had a buddy or someone you wanted to be as fast as you could time them and then set milestones to achieve to get you to that level. If you just want to better yourself then you're going about it the right way.

Back to where I started, basics. The times you slip, trip, drop, pucker, feel nervous, etc are the hints that these are your weaker attributes. Work on them. Start out small/slow and let your confidence build and the pace will follow. If its just your style and form gets sloppy as you fatigue, then like you said, setting times/endurance targets will help improve in that aspect which will then see better form for longer equating to better overall times.

I've never been one to really push the boundaries of anything though. I take it slow until I'm confident and then things become second nature. I've always felt that rushing or trying too hard to achieve leads to uneccessary mistakes. Be it in the workshop, on the trail, or at work. Same principals apply.