View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
With the bike on the stand, axel in place, and pinch bolts loose, first snug the brake side axel nut to seat the axel torque the pinch bolts, and then torque the axel nut....
My procedure deviates slightly...
After sliding the axle into position, I snug the non-brake side pinch bolts (temporarily). This will hold the axle while you torque the axle nut. With the brake side pinch bolts still loose, I torque the axle nut to the proper torque. This brake side fork leg can move as needed to ensure proper seating of the axle, wheel spacer, and fork leg during axle nut torquing. Then, I torque the brake side pinch bolts and this side is completely done.

Next, I loosen the non-brake side pinch bolts (those that were temporarily tightened previously). With these pinch bolts loose, I allow the non-brake side fork leg to center itself (as explained by Glenn and Tony). When I'm happy with my self-centering abilities, then I torque the non-brake side pinch bolts and that side is completely done. Everything in the world is at peace again and you can ride!

EDIT: Short version... Tighten right side pinch bolts, Torque axle nut, Torque left side pinch bolts, Loosen right side pinch bolts, Wiggle right side fork leg, Torque right side pinch bolts. Ride!