View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
You'd be mad to call 12/48 or 13/52 tall. Thats about as short as anyone ever goes.
After looking into this a little more, I happen to agree. I didn't realize the bike already has been geared down (to a 12T CS) and definitely didn't want to add 4 whole teeth to the rear sprocket (more potential to hit rocks/damage chain/need new chain), so I'm keeping it as is. I only experience issues with 1st being barely too tall on very steep sheer rock climbs (think Slickrock trail @ Moab) here in SoCal. But I'm definitely getting better at single finger clutch work and lunging up steep, stairstepped climbs. In short, 12/48 will stay until I wear it all out. Then, I'll replace with a new 13T CS, install the new 50T rear, and a shiny new chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
if you are improving as a rider,gear a tooth higher,youll get there.
Where do you ride most of the time.If you are the kind of rider that rides a lot of diferent terrain,stay up a tooth.Better to have to use some clutch or force yourself to carry a little more speed in the tight stuff,then run out of gears in transfer sections or open terrain.

12 tooth sprockets are risky,hard on the chain,they throw chains,break teeth,wear faster,and I swear just don't seem to get the power to the back wheel as well.s
Good advice here, thanks again!

Last edited by mtnmanseth; 04-22-2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: fixed spelling