View Single Post
Old 03-24-2016, 08:29 AM

Each state has their own regulations, so best bet is talk to someone in the title bureau about what exactly is required. I'll use my case as an example of what can go wrong:

Here in Ohio we have some pretty strict regulations. When I bought my bike used the seller didn't have the title but had the M.S.O. for it. I looked at the states requirements and the list stated they would except a M.S.O. when applying for title. He purchased new from a dealer in New York who shipped to Ohio without applying for title. The guy didn't want to pay sales tax so he never applied for title either. When I went to title the bike, I found out the Title Bureau would not accept the M.S.O. because they are non-transferable in Ohio. They would only accept the M.S.O. from original purchaser.

So if I wanted to get the title, I would have to take time off work, convince the previous owner to do the same, drive 3 hrs across the state and meet him at the Title Bureau where he would then apply for the title. At that point the sales tax would then be charged and he obviously wasn't going to pay it so that would be coming out of my pocket.

Then after we got all that done, he technically would be the legal owner of my bike with title in his name. Then we could do a title transfer to me. I'm sorry but that requires too big of a leap of faith for me. Sooooo... long story short, I bought a used frame with clear title and swapped everything over to that and now I'm technically the legal owner of a 2011 EC250 with 2009 EC300 Six Day components.

2009 EC300 Six Days