Thread: 2011 vs Ranger
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 09:38 AM

I have a 2011 EC250 e-start, and recently revalved the 45mm Zokes myself.

With my forks now behaving like they're supposed to, I personally can't see the Ranger providing any significant upgrade over my 2011, other than maybe weight (which I haven't heard an estimate yet).

My revalved 45mm Zokes and stock Ohlins shock works great for trail work.

The 250 has PLENTY of torque and power for slow, technical work, as well as more open stuff.

It already has a low seat and excellent handling.

The brakes and clutch work fantastically.

After stretching the bendix spring, my e-start works perfectly 100% of the time. AND I still have a kicker.

The weight is the only thing not 'perfect' about my 2011, but it's still in line with most other bikes on the market.

So while the Ranger is a really cool bike, that I'm glad GasGas decided to make, that will almost certainly outperform the Freeride and X-trainer, I see it as basically a 2010-2011 remake with a few tweaks.

I'm much more interested in a lightweight, updated suspension, e-start 200, which hopefully the US will get some of next year.

And if GasGas should happen to be reading this, PLEASE don't take the kickstarters off the EC/XC models. I saw multiple bikes at our local enduro this past weekend get DNFs because the battery died on their e-start only model bikes, including one pro that was heading towards a top 10, maybe top 5 finish. Literally no one is asking manufacturers to take them off, so it'd be great if you'd hold strong and leave them on.