View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Nice!
Brings back memories from my youth in the seventies. I made one of these wobbling steam engines at school when I was 14-15. Not anywhere as nice looking as yours, but it works and that was the main thing then (and still is, for me). It was my first venture into real metalworking, and I decided that I needed to own a lathe. Since then metalworking has been a part of my life as a hobby alongside motorcycles.

It took however some years until I could afford a lathe (and have a workshop to accommodate it). Now, I have had my old Harrison L5 lathe for perhaps 15-20 years. Later, I also bought a Galinto CNC lathe, but had to sell it again (too big for my workshop), but the old Harrison is still here.

I bought an issue of the mag "Road Racer Ireland" last time I was in Dublin, and noticed that Michael Dunlop has a similar lathe! (at least this image suggests so).

(for those unfamiliar with the Irish racing scene, Michael is son of Robert and nephew of Joey Dunlop)

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc