View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEV View Post
Getting back to the "direct from manufacturer" part of it. Wouldn't the manufacturer really being putting the screwing to the brands dealers if they decide to sell direct? I'm all for small business and supporting the dealers.
Lets turn that around. What if a dealer starts carrying another brand? Isn't he "putting the screwing" to the original distributor? A dealer is capable of selling a certain number of motorcycles. If he adds a second brand he is not doubling his sales. He is diluting his business between to brands and the original brand gets "screwed". That happens constantly but the OEM/distributor gets no sympathy.
I'm glad Fred did this poll because it has started me thinking about a combined dealer/distributor model with Sherco (not with GG at all, ok?). It would be a sort of "No haggle" pricing thing. The dealer and I would have a slimmer margin but customers would pay the same and that price would be lower than the original retail. Keep in mind that the Sherco 2T is not a cheap motorcycle in the first place. It simply can't be priced the same as the orange brand since it has a two stage ignition controlled by an ECU. It could be under this model. Keep in mind that these are retail to retail comparisons. The orange bike could still be discounted more if the orange dealer wanted to discount his bike substantially. My dilemma is that the Sherco has more features so it CAN'T be as low as the orange brand.
What do you guys think?