View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 07:47 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by muellersq View Post
I am not a good rider, especially when it comes to steep narrow tracks, so a fww could be fine for me (maybe).
On the other hand I have sometimes problem at really steep ascends that have to be climbed with high speed.
If i had such a heavy fww on my ec 300 06, would I have to be earlier with the throttle or open it more (maybe both?
To address your question directly:
With a heavy flywheel weight, you may have to be earlier on your throttle to get the engine up to the rpm you want, since the fww makes the engine gain rpms a bit slower. (Maybe just a fraction of a second sooner, but sometimes that fraction of a second does make a difference.)

As Jokobi said, the flywheel weight will make the engine more resistant to stalling at the expense of a bit of "snap" to the power delivery.
My suggestion is to add a fww if you are having a problem with stalling the engine or a problem keeping the power under control. Also, in your calculations, you can also choose from a variety of weights.

An example: With my 2006 DE300, I had plenty of power and could control it, but my fuel usage was too high. I wanted more mileage from a tank of fuel.
I contacted RB Designs and had them reshape my cylinder head and adjust the squish band by shaving it a bit.
When I reinstalled the head after modification, my mileage greatly improved.
However, the engine gained enough extra snap in it's power delivery that I was having trouble keeping the rear wheel from breaking loose in rocky off-camber corners. (The rear wheel caught up with the front wheel twice on the first test ride. )
I then installed a Checkpoint Machine 10oz flywheel weight and my testing showed that I now still had "snap" in my power delivery but not more than I could use or control. (I just looked at their website an it seems that now they only offer the 12oz weight.)
Matt Stavish, who owns and operates Checkpoint Off-Road, was a spoonsered rider for the GasGas Factory's National Enduro and Hare Scrambles team in the early 2000s. Here is that catalog page which shows the fww weight.
http://checkpointoff-road.com/store.html

I"ve played with all the different size flywheel weights available, and I personally don't like the extremely heavy fww. (23oz) They take too much of the "play power" out of the power delivery. And, sometime that extra snap will get my front wheel up over an obstacle a quickly as I need it to.
A 10oz weight is usually my recommendation for someone who wants to race, but have more control over the engine.

You will just need to decide what you need, in relation to what you have now, and do what's best for you.

I hope that this helped you in your deliberations.

Good Riding!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/