View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Site Sponsor

Default torquing cylinder base nuts....

welp, we all know the cylinder base nuts in the front are a bitch to torque - i use a box end wrench that i've ground way down and just pull till they're really tight. is there a better method? - i thought i could get a crows foot with a torque wrench in there, but there's just no way..

i noticed there's some oil migrating on the old gasket around the 2 front studs, which tells me i didn't torque enough last time i was in there..(or not clean or not flat....) - book says 25Nm which i convert to 20ft-lbs - doesn't seem that tight..

also anyone run no gasket? i was running .3 gasket, and had 2.0 squish. sent head to rb, and he said no go on the head mod (i have 15 degree plug hole..). if i go to to .15 gasket it'll bring squish to 1.85. if i run no gasket, (and just hylomar..) i think i can get close to .03 thickness (according to hylomar site.....) makes 1.72 squish.. - i've used hylomar on 4t's for base gasket and it's worked amazingly well, but i think 4t base gaskets see at lot less heat/pressure than a 2t..... i know all this will change my port height, which i'm cool with, more low end is always nice on a 200..