View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 11:09 PM

Default battery

Nope. The FSE stock gasgas speedo runs on its own 9 volt battery so when it goes dead, it does not record the milage. It does not loose the milage recorded, however it does not record any while it is dead. I don't really like that. It poses a potential milage representation problem for people who take the 9 volt out and ride it and then try to sell it with "low miles." I don't think that is the case on my bike however ya never know.

Also, the lesson I learned from this is that when the 9 volt is low, (not dead) the display still functions properly but it cannot recieve information from the speedometer cable and does not increase the odo or trip meters. You would think there would be information on that somewhere or a low battery light or the display would just go dead. But it doesn't. And it caused me a lot of trouble thinking that there was some huge problem with the speedo and leads to believe that the bike was tampered with or something was up. If I had owned the bike for a while before this happened I wouldn't have really been worried but because of the circumstances I was worried that something fishy was going on. Luckily it was just the battery and the cable needs a replacement. It was broken upon inspection but Im not sure if that contributed or not. It all was just unfortunate that the battery went low the day I bought it and the cable was broken.

Oh well. Its fixed now so at least I know what to do next time.