Thread: No bottom end
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 03:18 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

When I got my used XC 200, it acted just as you describe. I bumped the pilot up one notch, from a 40 to a 42, I seem to recall. That brought the low end to life and really smoothed out the transition from low to mid to wfo.

However, as I learned the hard way, I had a mag side crank bearing starting to go bad which in turn was causing the seal to leak a little.

I was visiting and trail riding with some friends in another state when after a steep hill climb, I shut the bike off to wait & see if everyone made it up that hill.
Once we were all up & over, I tried to start the bike and it was locked up tight.

Thankfully, I kept rocking it back & forth in gear and it finally broke loose. Once I got it started again, I rode it the 5 miles or so back to the truck.

Upon dis-assembly, I found the cage that holds the rollers had come apart and jammed between the cases and the crank. But the deteroiation of the hard face of the bearing race and ball bearings had been happening for a long while.

I'm convinced that bearing was what was causing my lean condition when I bought it. After rebuilding the engine, I needed to go back to the 40 pilot jet.

Not trying to scare you, but just saying if you do have to replace the crank seal, you might want to check out the main bearing as best you can while you're at it.

If it has a hint of looseness or even a hint of any moisture or mud has gotten past that seal, then I'd seriously consider new crank bearings.

RB