View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

All I can say is this race is tough!

It starts with round the houses a few laps through the capital city of Maseru - dash for cash - does not have any bearing Om the race results so I spent most of the time praying the bike did not seize as I sped along full taps.
This was followed by the time trial, 60km of single track, some short rocky climbs and lots of rocks.
I set off thinking I was invincible, but the searing heat and my body not being in sync with my imagination meant it was not long before I felt like packing it all in and taking up golf. About 5km into the TT I thought my clutch was packing up, but carried on with a terrible noise from my bike, this turned out to be my chain that had worn through the chain guide roller and was running on the bush (Steve please don't say anything!)) Anyway I pushed on and finished second last in the Pro (gold) class (a really ambitious class for me to enter and I was soon to learn how much off I was)

Anyway that evening we worked out what the problem was, found the GG importer and ended up replacing the chain guide with one off a 2011 bike. And my pit crew convinced me to start the next day and so I decided to ride and end when I stopped having fun

And since this is tedious tapping on my phone I will just say for now that I finished bronze class on day 2 and 3 (which was about 16hrs of riding). I did not ride anything harder than I have before, but the climbs were just never ending and one after another with some really awesome views and great single track in-between

The interesting thing about this thread was that we were discussing Elmer and all the controversy when he won unexpectedly beating all the favorites, well this year there was Graham Jarvis defending his title, chris birch, the hemmingway bros, Paul bolton, Darryl Curtis etc and the race was won by 16yr old Wade Young!!!

For my ride I would like to thank steve beane for my suspension (I thanked you out loud a few times on the ride as well!), Jakobi for getting my jetting sorted, Elvis74 for his pv spacer
I will add a bit more tomorrow and some links to the YouTube vids from redbull etc