Thread: cranky
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 09:24 PM

Jeff's suggestion is best. The bearing splitter/puller in fairly common, and if you have access to a press it would not be too difficult. A little heat ON THE RACE ONLY may make it eaiser. If you look in the GG manual, they referance a tool that you heat separately, and then clamp on the race to expand it. I have never used this, but have rebuilt a couple automotive manual transmissions that had many press fits with the press/puller method. Another option is to VERY CAREFULLY grind slots in the race on each side, as deep as possible without hitting the crank, and then hitting it with a punch to split the race in half. Its hardend and brittle.

Have the crank rebuilt and balanced, don't do the job halfway. Changes are the crank shop can eaisly remove the race and save you the trouble. For installation, get some dry ice and freeze the crank(I use liquid nitrogen because I have it available but this is not possible for most people). Before you do this, lube the rod bearing, and warm the assembly when complete to drive off the condensation that WILL form from the intense cold. Heat the race and it will just about fall on, but be quick.

For the case, roostafish has a great idea, it works well. While the case is still hot, drop in the new bearings(pre frozen).

This is how I do motors, as little force as possible.

Good Luck!