View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 AM

Default Backcountry Gear i.e. tools, first aid, etc.

I see similar threads on other forums. Everyone has their own ideas, of what to carry, while riding. I have the opportunities to ride far away from any sort of assistance. I think as riders of remote areas, we could pick up a lot of easy, unique, inexpensive, and valuable tips from each other. I won't bother anyone with the seemingly unnecessary grocery list of crap, that I carry. I do carry 3 particular items, that I rarely, if ever, see in anyone elses kits. I have an emergency bivy sack, an emergency blanket(which can double as an ultra-lite tarp). Last, but not least, a staple gun(like a doctor uses on scalp wounds). The bivy will reflect up to 80% of someone's body heat, back into themselves. The staple gun...Instead of sewing a gaping cut, as someone's rapidly losing blood(I've had to do this), hold the wound closed, staple it, then bandage the wound. Very quick, and it enables you to move on, and treat someone for shock and/or exposure(hence the bivy & blanket). Moreover, any of these items I can use for my own backcountry needs. I stapled a cut on my arm once, and have used the bivy sack, and blanket(used it for a tarp) to ride out a hail storm. By the way... the staple gun hurts like hell, but is very effective.