Thread: Newbie here!
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

You'll likely find that most of us are pretty die hard lovers of Gas Gas, but now that the poison has worn off, and you are ready to ride a two stroke, I'd say you can't lose. Each company makes great bikes. Yamaha's YZ 250 is phenomenal, the Gas Gas, the KTM, and the Husky are all wonderful bikes. If you want a 300, you'll probably be looking at those three. Add in the TM if you're willing to hunt one down. You really can't lose, because a 300 two stroke is an awfully nice bike, no matter which brand name is stamped on it.

The Husky is better than that particular shootout gave it credit for. The Gas Gas is probably the best handling bike out there, from any corner of the globe as far as I'm concerned. The KTM is mainstream, and are also well liked.

With Gas Gas, you get a nice bunch of enthusiasts, and the dealer is usually a true dirt bike enthusiast first, and a front line dealer second. Just sayin. KTM dealers have mostly stayed away from the car dealership feel, but as they grow in size, and are sold in Honda showrooms, those good dealers aren't necessarily a sure thing. No worries on parts, price or availablility.
As for Gas Gas, and aftermarket bits. THere are things out there, not a ton, but the important stuff is there.

Good luck, and enjoy your new two stroke!
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs