View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 08:52 AM

Default More trials oriented - exactly right

Nasty trails? Who needs a trail? Many times I've ridden this bike XC off trail, even. The late Bill Nance (a founder of the NM Trials Assn) and I spent every weekend from about 1997 till 2000 riding every nasty trail and jeep road for over a 100 mile radius around Albuquerque. Bill was a retired FAA Radar tech at Gallup Radar site high in the Chuska mtns north of Gallup, NM on the Navajo reservation. We went riding up there often - forests, lakes, red sandstone. I was never a trials competitor, but Bill taught me how to jump logs, pop up on ledges and so on. We had a blast. You are right about this being the most "trials like" Pampera. The subsequent models were heavier, lacked the low front fender, and performed more like an MX or enduro than a trials machine. I'll really miss my Pampera. The bid on eBay is still less than $1000 - AUCTION ENDS SUNDAY 7/14. You guys are missing a rare gem, even if you already own a full on trials machine. This one you can ride on the street down to the coffee shop as well as in the woods, or on the highway in between trails. When Bill and I would go to the NMTA meets at San Ysidro or Taos, the champion riders would show off on my Pampera, doing nose wheelies, bunny hops, the works. I bought this bike from Bob Rowland a local trials competitor, who had an airline captain friend who piloted a flight to Spain. He'd just buy one in Spain and carry it back to the states on his airliner for Bob, who then sold it to me. You'll never find a better Pampera these days! Rare as well as brilliant!